Taking on big projects policy
This policy was super-seeded by the Member Storage Policy on 29/10/2016
Any project to be left in the space overnight outside of member storage boxes must be approved by a Keyholder unrelated to the project. If the project is expected to be left in the space for more than 3 nights it must be approved by a Trustee. If for more than 2 weeks it must be approved by a quorum of Trustees. In all cases the following hold:
- When storing the project, care must be taken to ensure that disruption to other space users is minimised and safety is not impacted.
- The Trustees must be made aware of the project within 24 hours of being left in the space (an email to firstname.lastname@example.org is sufficient) - details to include what it is, who is working on it, and how long it is expected to stay for.
- Unless excepted by a quorum of Trustees, there must be a name and method of contact left clearly visible on the project when stored in the space. This may be an email address or phone number.
- The project must be removed within 48 hours if required by a Trustee (unless a quorum of Trustees say otherwise).
Specific rules for big projects from an external source
Any big project proposed by an external source or non member should come before a trustee with the following information:
- A brief description of what’s being built. While not mandatory, drawings and further detail is encouraged especially if the construction process may be considered high risk. A risk assessment can help determine this and the trustees will be happy to assist with this.
- Checks to ensure disruption to the space will be minimal and if disruption is inevitable it is worth it.
- There is a clear and sensible place to store the project, during construction and also when complete. Gangways, infrastructure and emergency exits etc must never be blocked.
- ALL non members involved with the project are briefed on the makerspace rules and policies.
- There should ideally be a main point of contact that members can speak to regarding the project.
- If there is any money being changed hands between the space and the group this should be communicated to the treasurer.