ARM Printer Electronics and Firmware
|ARM Printer Electronics and Firmware|
|ARM based electronics and firmware for 3D printers|
This project aims to create firmware for 3D Printers that will run on ARM (probably Coretex) MCUs. The project will also define hardwares.
We hate these things about Marlin/Adruino based solutions:
- Changing settings can mean compiling the firmware.
- Not fast enough for delta kinematics, really.
- Scheduling in Marlin sucks thanks to Arduino.
- Current hardware is frail.
- There are too many choices in Marlin Config.
The name is important, how about:
- Finetooth (as in the shark).
Must Protect Stepper Drivers
Must Isolate USB
Servers require 4kV protection of their USB ports, so we probably want to aim for that.
- ANALOG DEVICES - ADUM4160BRIZ - Catastrophically expensive (£8), 5kV.
Fixed pin assignment
This is useful in enabling binary releases that could work on all printers. We need to see if there is commonality in the I/O of different vendors ARM offerings or if we would need to commit to a range of one vendor's chip for this.
HWBE or similar bootloader pin needs to be fixed and should be shared with what can be the back button on the front panel.
ABSOLUTELY NO USER/PRINTER SETTINGS IN CODE!!!
Essential for binary releases, settings MUST go in flash. I'm thinking we ship a programming tool/gui that can set these using M500 etc. Or let a User set them with GCODE. External EEPROM might be required/desirable.
Design which allows cartesian/delta/hbot/corexy without hackery.
DFU bootloader preferred
- Our config tool can program firmware binaries.
- GCODE command can initiate DFU mode.
- DFU programmer can launch application code.
- User can un-brick by powering on while holding back button, or jumper setting in absence of panel.
Maybe call it Smallfin.
- Single board.
- 4x on-board steppers.
- Front panel header with SD card support.
- USB & Ethernet (maybe).
- 2x heater drivers & sensors.
- Respect current limits and support the PCB heatbed.
- 12-24V supply.
- DAC for stepper driver power.
- TI Tiva C Series EK-TM4C1294XL - Cheap ($20) Ethernet, USB, Coretex M4, DFU (USB) and Ethernet bootloaders factory programmed, 120MHz.